Tuesday, April 1, 2014

4/1... April Showers…

 
                                                                                          Total Daily Calories:  1735

     Day 79                                                                       Days till Weigh-In:   8

Did someone say April, because it feels more like February out there?  This morning was a chilly 32° complete with frosty car windows. And yesterday I commuted to work in a snow storm! Yes, heavy snow, sleet, wind and basically a gigantic mess. Roadways littered with little cars slippin & sliding all over the place or just stuck on the side of the road causing bottle necks… So while it doesn’t feel anything at all like April 1st, -- it absolutely feels like April-Fools Day...  

                                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

Okay, gripe over – now onto the business at hand. So as most of you already know, today is my ‘animal-protein free’ day. And in case anyone was wondering, the answer is ‘no’, I’m not considering being a vegan, most definitely not. I love meat, shellfish, eggs and dairy too much to ever completely give them up. However, I’m also mindful of the many health benefits associated with eating a more vegetarian diet and so that’s my ultimate goal – to slowly but surely reduce the amount of animal protein I consume. Of course I haven’t decided on a specific goal yet, that’ll take time – but I figure lets kick it off with this very difficult goal so that everything else will seem tame by comparison.

Meanwhile, I’m already a little surprised by how challenging this goal is for me. Almost everything I eat contains some animal protein. For instance, finding bread that contains no eggs or milk isn’t that easy. Thank God for Whole Foods. I ran into Jericho yesterday and was saved by ‘Nature’s Own’ one of the brands they carry with no milk or eggs. I selected a bag of the Multi Grain Honey Bread and MG Bagels and I’m happy to say they both taste pretty good. I’ll keep you posted. J



Note: I wanted to post this earlier – sorry for the delay – I ran out to do some errands. But I’m back now and ready to give you a little update. All in all I’d say the day went very well. At first I wasn’t sure I’d last the full day (and technically I didn’t). But I hung on long enough to make myself happy and so I consider it a successful day.  Boy do I have a new found respect for vegetarians. It’s not easy coming up with 3 meals plus snacks for 1900 calories without eating animal protein, at least not for me, not now anyway. By dinner I was almost ready to jump head first into a cheeseburger and saturated fat drenched French fries - but happy to say I resisted and settled for a hardboiled egg (the lesser of three evils)... And believe me I don't feel the least bit bad, not at all. I survived a difficult challenge with only a minor end-of-day slip. I can live with that. J




 
 Daily Tracker  
[42] Tuesday  4/1/14  
TimeQtyFood ItemCaloriesSub
7:30amBreakfast   
 1Mediterranean Bagel - roasted red pepper, onion, fresh spinich, red onion, 4tbsp pepper humus370 
 1Bowl Organic Mixed Greens0 
 1Hazelnut Crème Decaf50
 
  Breakfast Calories:420 
10aSnack   
 1Hazelnut Coffee50
470
1pmLunch   
 2Slices MG Honey Bread140 
  PB2 & Strawberry Preserves130 
 1Fresh Pineapple, coconut, raspberry, banana smoothie w/shot of wheat grass370 
 1Bowl Organic Mixed Greens0 
  Lunch Calories:6401110
 Snack   
 1McIntosh Apple60 
 10Baby Carrots30 
  Snack Calories901200
6:pDinner   
 1Large Greek Salad 460 
 1Slice MG Honey Bread70 
 1Bowl Organic Mixed Greens0 
  Dinner Calories5301730
 Snack   
 1Hazelnut Crème Decaf50 
 1Hardboiled Egg75 
  Snack Calories1251855
  Total Calories Burned<120> 
  Total:1735
                 ***Daily Caloric Goal:1900 
Water (1 cup per circle)  
O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O   O  O  O   15 
1 cup = 8 fluid oz = 0.24 liters 
 
Time   Activity Burned 
30minWalking<120> 
     
 
                                         Total Calories Burned:
<120> 
*Calorie/Activity calculation:  20 or 30 Calories for every 5 minutes (depending on exertion)