Saturday, April 5, 2014

4/5... NEAT...


Total Calories: 1820
Day 83                                                            Days till Weigh-In:  4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis

From a 2011 NY Times article I learned of a research study focused on Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. A study looking at the implications of sitting too much, lack of movement and how both directly impact weight loss. I immediately agreed with the hypothesis and so I jumped right into the article and found it so compelling that I’m going to summarize it for you today, but I encourage you to read the article yourself. Stay tuned below to see how I’ll be using this information for my personal journey.


His initial question — which he first posed in a 1999 study — was simple: Why do some people who consume the same amount of food as others gain more weight? After assessing how much food each of his subjects needed to maintain their current weight, Dr. Levine then began to ply them with an extra 1,000 calories per day. Sure enough, some of his subjects packed on the pounds, while others gained little to no weight.

Summary

1. We sit too much
2. The study monitored a group of adults that ate and burned the exact same number of calories every day without doing any exercise at all
3. The participants were required to consume the exact same number of calories from food each day (participants ate all meals in a controlled environment)
4. Results: some gained more weight than others
5. Why? All things being equal, why would some gain more than others?
6. Was it metabolism?  No, it wasn’t.
7. Research finally uncovered the mystery after 6 years of monitoring….
8. Movement was the reason (not exercise, just movement). One group of study participants unconsciously moved around more every day and as a result they gained less weight

Getting up more frequently to get water, going to the bathroom more, using the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further from the building all combined to give one group more movement than the other. The study participants that gained less weight did so because they moved more than their sedentary counterparts. Not exercise, just movement. Interesting. 

So how can I use this information to my greatest advantage?
How can I enjoy the health benefits of added movement while at my job I'm tethered to a desk most of the day? It’s simple: I’ll add more movement. I'll consciously park farther from the store, I'll take stairs instead of escalator or elevator, I'll walk the long way instead of taking the short cut. I'll stop a couple times during the day to stretch and move my body (suppose to do this anyway as per OSHA). And in the evening I can stretch and lift my legs, arms, back and neck while sitting. There are literally thousands of exercises I can do while sitting in a chair and all of them involve movement! So that’s it, that’s how I can do it, that’s how I will add a lot more movement into my day while still doing everything that must be done from my chair. And of course I’ll track this as well.                                                              

 Daily Tracker    
[42]   Saturday  4/5/14    
Time Qty Food Item Calories Sub
8:30a Breakfast      
  1 English Muffin w/PB2 & Strawberry Preserves 230  
  2 Slices mozzarella cheese 140  
  1 Hazelnut Crème Decaf 60  
  1 Bowl Organic Mixed Greens 0  
         
    Breakfast Calories: 430  
  Snack      
         
    Snack Calories: 0  
12:30p Lunch      
  1 Greek Salad w/Jumbo Shrimp (no cheese) 600  
  1 Pita lightly grilled 100  
     
 
    Lunch Calories: 700 1130
  Snack      
  1 Hazelnut Crème Decaf 60  
  1oz Mixed Nuts 160  
    Snack Calories 220 1350
  Dinner      
  1 Encrusted Sweet & Sour Filet of Sole 160  
  1/2c Toasted Quinoa 110  
  1.5c Broccoli 0  
    Dinner Calories 270 1620
  Snack      
  1 Hazelnut Crème Decaf / 2oz Almonds 380  
    Snack Calories 380 2000
    Total Calories Burned <180>  
    Total: 1820
                   ***Daily Caloric Goal: 1900  
Water (1 cup per circle)    
O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O   O  O  O    12  
1 cup = 8 fluid oz = 0.24 liters    
Time    Activity   Burned  
45 min Walking <180>  
         
                                           Total Calories Burned: <180>  
*Calorie/Activity calculation:  20 or 30 Calories for every 5 minutes (depending on exertion)
     













 

 

 

Opinions shared are that of the blog author. Links and other references are posted when applicable.*