Wednesday, April 2, 2014

4/2... WTF...


 
                                                                                          Total Daily Calories: 1835
     Day 80  WTF…                                                       Days till Weigh-In:   7


The Healthy Benefits of Deep Breathing

A colleague recently introduced me to this really cool concept à deep breathing.  Obviously I listened…, but paid very little attention at the time. I mean let’s face it, I breathe all the time. I was born breathing, we all do it, no class required – sometimes I breathe deeply, sometimes I don’t. I also had a pretty good understanding of the health benefits associated with breathing – being alive for instance…  

But I have great respect for this colleague and because of that I had to check it out – do some research on my own. And it turns out, I wasn’t breathing deeply at all. Well maybe once in a blue moon if I came across some newly cut grass or fresh garlic sizzling in a pan. But that’s about it. That was the extent of my deep breathing.

But now, after many months of practicing this newly discovered concept, I feel okay about sharing some information with you. First of all, there’s a right way to do it and a wrong way. Second, for best results it should be done every day, several times a day.  And finally, there is in fact numerous health benefits associated with it. The technique is simple: sitting in a chair, shoulders back but relaxed, inhale very deeply through your nostrils, push your chest out a bit so you can fully expand your lungs, then slowly exhale through your mouth emptying your lungs completely. Repeat. That’s it, that’s the simple, yet powerful tool that carries with it so many health benefits. Some of which include a significant delivery of oxygen to your cells, a release of endorphins that quickly reduces stress and enhances mood, improvement in digestion and detoxification and lower blood pressure,  just to name a few.
So there you have it – something so incredibly simple anyone can do it and reap the rewards. And to get started I would suggest setting a reasonable goal; say 5-10 deep breaths twice a day. That’s a good place to start. Of course you can increase that anytime. So go ahead – breathe…  J













 



Personal thoughtsToday was great. The weather on Long Island is beautiful. Spring is still searching for us, but thank God it won’t be long. I had a very nice walk in the delicious fresh air, felt so good to be out and about…
The food issue that’s foremost on my mind these days is adding new foods to my Tracker, shaking it up a bit, if you will. I’m trying to expand my culinary reach to include some new vegetables, fruits, grains and even proteins, adding some variety to spice things up. I’m also looking forward to the debut of summer fruits – which are my favorite. I love all things berry, cherry, peach, pineapple etc. The calorie counting may be a little challenging with natures packaging and all but I’ll be conservative and probably add a few extra calories just to be safe… I’m not gonna worry about that now, that’s for sure.  

 

 

Tracker

 Daily Tracker    
[42]   Wednesday  4/2/14    
Time Qty Food Item Calories Sub
8am Breakfast      
  3 Egg whites, spinich, mushrooms, swiss and turkey sausage omlett w/ kaiser roll 475  
  1 Bowl Organic Mixed Greens 0  
  1 Hazelnut Crème Decaf 50  
    Breakfast Calories: 525  
  Snack      
1pm Lunch      
  2 Slices MG bread w/PB2 and Strawberry Preserves 350  
  10 Baby Carrots 30  
  1 Bowl Organic Mixed Greens 0  
    Lunch Calories: 380 905
  Snack      
  1 McIntosh Apple 60  
  4 Strawberries 30  
    Snack Calories 90 995
6:p Dinner      
  1 Double & Single Ketel one w/Diet Ginger Ale 360  
  1 Filet Mignon, steamed red potatoes and spinich 550  
    Dinner Calories 910 1905
  Snack      
  1 Hazelnut Crème Decaf 50  
    Snack Calories 50 1955
    Total Calories Burned <120>  
    Total: 1835  
                   ***Daily Caloric Goal: 1900  
Water (1 cup per circle)    
O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O   O  O  O    12  
1 cup = 8 fluid oz = 0.24 liters    
Time    Activity   Burned  
30 Walking <120>  
         
                                           Total Calories Burned: <120>  
*Calorie/Activity calculation:  20 or 30 Calories for every 5 minutes (depending on exertion)
     


 


Opinions shared are that of the blog author. Links and other references are posted when applicable.